Professionalism Statement and Code of Conduct
Society of Abdominal Radiology
Statement on Professionalism
(Adopted from the 2020 Intersociety Committee)
We, the members of the House of Radiology, believe that every member of our many organizations should be valued and included. All voices should be heard.
To assure a collaborative and inclusive culture, all SAR members should conduct themselves in a professional manner, respecting all individuals, including patients and colleagues, and advocate for those who cannot advocate for themselves. We welcome all members. We shall not discriminate based upon gender, sexual orientation, nationality, race, ethnicity, age, physical ability, religion, or experience.
While we embrace free speech and the power of open discourse and debate during our professional society meetings and on social media platforms, we do not condone any forms of harassment, bullying behaviors, or speech that marginalizes or attacks others.
By upholding this endorsed Statement of Professionalism, we promise to treat each human being with dignity, kindness, and respect.
Society of Abdominal Radiology
Code of Conduct
This code aims to:
- Ensure dissemination and discussion of information in a respectful, supportive, and collegial manner.
- Encourage innovation and foster training of future abdominal radiology leaders.
- Further abdominal radiology through open and honest communication of research and clinical education.
- A Society of Abdominal Radiology (SAR) member and meeting attendee shall:
- Be respectful and considerate of all colleagues throughout SAR meetings, including but not limited to scientific and educational sessions, social functions, social media discussions, and during any online forum discussions, to assure a respectful and inclusive environment.
- Value and respect other members’ and attendees’ opinions.
- Refrain from discriminatory, harassing, or demeaning speech or behavior, including unwelcome physical contact and sexual references, and intervene if one sees this type of behavior.
- SAR members are expected to adhere to these values during professional interactions outside the annual meeting as well.
- SAR members must follow the strictest standards of scientific conduct.Plagiarism, misrepresentation or falsification of data, misappropriation of the intellectual property rights of another, or the inappropriate promotion of commercial services and products are considered a breach of this code.
Examples of improper conduct:
- Disrespectful, derogatory, discriminatory, racist or inappropriate language, tone, or commentary
- Intimidation, bullying, verbal or physical harassment of another attendee or staff member
- Discourtesy or rudeness to an attendee or staff member
- Unwanted advances, actual or threatened violence, or any disruptive behavior
Reporting and potential consequences:
- SAR will not tolerate breaches of the code of conduct. Instances of misbehavior should be reported immediately to meeting manager staff (Veritas Meeting Solutions) or a SAR board member.
- Individuals displaying unacceptable behavior will be asked to stop immediately.
- Individual may be issued an initial warning or further action may be taken after due process by the SAR Ethics Committee and the SAR Board.
- SAR reserves the right to compel the offender to leave the meeting or event without warning and may prohibit attendance or participation at future meetings or revoke membership depending on the severity of the infraction. If an offender is compelled to leave, no refund of fees will be made.